Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Etymology Of My Name

So I was doing my thing this morning, and I posted something online, and someone asked the question "is Phoenix really your name" and for the first time in my life, they were not talking about my last name, which is kinda cool. So I told them that yes, it is my name, but no,  I do not spell it that way. I then decided, just for the fun of it, to see what happens if I do some research on the name Fenix as I spell it. Using the website that is my best friend, etymonline.com, I was able to search for the word Phoenix and I got results (which makes sense, as it is a common english word). The results, however were very cool. And I'll tell you them in a minute, after I give a small family history/language catch up for anyone who doesn't know.
My family name (Cobbledick) is derived from an old british surname Cuppledich of which the oldest record that I've been able to find was in the 12th century AD. Now, right around the 12th century is where Old English was becoming Middle English, so it is tough to say what language the first recorded Cobbledick spoke, but it is going to be one of these two, and they are not that far apart.
Old English is a Germanic language in the Indo-European family, and Greek (where the word Phoenix came from) is a Hellenic in the Indo-European family. They are related, if distantly.

Now check this out. The word there is a word in old english for "phoenix," and it is a really good cognate, enough to say that the word was created before the germanic/hellenic split, which isn't that hard to believe, because the concept of the phoenix has been around for a very long time - the ancient egyptians wrote about them. The word, of course, is fenix.

Did I know this when I changed my name? no. I hadn't the foggiest idea that I was picking a name that was a word in the language that my ancestor likely spoke. It was a complete and total accident. However, it is also really cool, and now I have a great story behind the name.

This also means that nobody is allowed to give me shit about the spelling of my name ever again, just so everyone knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment