Monday, October 11, 2010

Musical Choices

The musical choices of my first vlog were no accident. They were all selections from artists either based in/around Eugene, or artists I heard in an event unique to Eugene. All of these artists inspire me in some way, whether artistically, philosophically, energetically, or just sillily*. So, I hope you can take some time to check these guys out, they are all worth a look.

*So I used that word as a joke, because I was being silly in it's use, and blogger didn't give me the red underline... turns out that is actually a word!

1. Song Away (Hockey): Hockey was a band that played at a concert in the EMU ballroom my first few weeks at school. Me and my friends danced like... well... dancing fools to these guys. So I got their CD, and we continue to dance like dancing fools when we listen to it. And the CD is called Mind Chaos, and if you ever crave "dancing 'round the room in your undies" music, then these guys are your winners.
2. Da Que Deus (Faun): I don't particularly like this song, but it fit with the scenery and the feeling of the piece it was put to. Faun as a whole, on the other hand, has been such an incredible inspiration to me, starting on the first night I heard them. So many great ideas for movement and art have come to me as a result of the music written by these German musicians.
3. All The Myths Are True (Abney Park): This is one of my favorite songs by these guys. These guys, actually, were the reason I went to faerieworlds in the first place. Colin found a flyer for the winterballs celebration, and I went to the website and heard "Airship Pirate" and I was hooked. This, of course, was the start of many amazing relationships, so much learning, so much inspiration, and a hellofalot of fun.
4. Forecast In Eugene (Christina Robert): I love this song. I love this song. This song is incredible. This song, about how amazing Eugene is, and describes it perfectly, is written by a friend of mine who brings light into my day every time I see her. This woman is so full of joy and goodness that it is infectious - you cannot be around this girl and be sad, it just is not possible (try listening to the song and pay attention to the lyrics, and just try to frown - it cannot be done). As example of her goodness, this song was recorded on an album called "Fill The Well" which was sold as a fundraiser for a project by the same name whose goal was to create fresh water drinking wells in Africa. This song, and Christina, make me look like a grumpus...
5. Taglio! (Tricky Pixie): Just a good band. They tend to write silly music, and I like it. This song is just a damned good song, and I advise everyone to go check these guys out. They have an incredible cult following, and there are callbacks in their songs (which I need to learn).
6. Mud (ÆON NOW): These guys are friends of mine as well. I met their lead singer, Olive, at saturday market one day, and we hit it off. So one day she did her thing (accordion and singing) and I did mine (juggling) and so now we do that all the time at saturday market. These guys write what can really only be classified as circus punk... with a washboard.
7. Reckless (Crystal Castles): A blog is supposed to represent your life, and so that means that so should my musical choices. I was going to use Mud for the whole juggling section at the end, and then realized that I had used no electronica. To be fair to the musical selections of my life, some electronic music needed to be in there, as I do spend a fair amount of time listening to it. Crystal Castles are just one of the bands I listen to, credit to Amanda for introducing them to me (after we listened to Untrust Us one day in Carson Hall eating dinner).

So that's the music of my blog! I'll talk to you guys soon! Maybe with another video!

No comments:

Post a Comment