Thursday, November 10, 2011

Survivor's Guilt

I want to talk for a bit about survivor's guilt. It won't be a long post I hope, but it is something I want to get down. First, as always when talking about touchy subjects, a disclaimer. I know that survivor guilt is no longer a DSM classified disorder and listed as a symptom of PTSD. That is to say, when I talk about survivor's guilt in the context I plan, I am not meaning any offense to the people who experience this as a symptom of a psychological disorder. I recognize that they are not the same thing (though similar ideas) and I do not mean to trivialize your struggle with it, I just want to take the idea and use it to talk about a related, though less extreme, situation I have been a part of.
That being, said, let's move on.

I grew up in Tucson, AZ. Arizona has a lot of problems, and I would say that Tucson has the same problems, but less of them, and to a lesser degree. The racism and sexism and homophobia that I have heard about going on in the public school systems across this country are terrible, and Arizona has them too. But we didn't. I went to an alternative elementary school, and then a middle school and high school that was so tight knit that if anyone were subjected to the kinds of bullying I've seen in the news recently, there would be hell to pay in a minute. The teachers cared, the students cared, and everyone worked to create a solid learning environment where everyone felt safe - I know I did. BASIS is a good example of how to run a program without bullying.

I have always been good at standing up for myself. I take very little crap, and I take it from a small list of people. If a stranger starts giving me flak, I do not back down - I have been this way for quite some time, ever since I found my voice.

I see these kids on the news, like the Michigan kid getting repeatedly punched in the face after being ambushed IN A SCHOOL CLASSROOM and Matt, who the new michigan law (I don't know if it passed, but it basically says "no bullying, unless you can think of a moral or religious reason for it," and as one senator said, they are not stopping bullying, they are providing a blueprint for it, telling people exactly how to get away with it) was created in honor of - called Matt's Safe School Law - was bullyed at school to the point of his suicide 40 days after having syrup and eggs dumped on his head for being gay (if anyone can figure out the bully's train of thought on that one, you get 10 points).

I know there are people speaking for these kids. Kevin Epling, Matt's father now works for an organization called Bullypolice USA, speaks for these kids. Gretchen Whitmer, who spoke on just how terrible the new law is, speaks for these kids. The adults are speaking for these kids. The GLSEN (gay lesbian straight education network) works with politicians and parents around the country to get policy changed to help these kids. I am a bisexual genderqueer kid who has NEVER faced any adversity. None. I mean, I get the stray faggot remark, the occasional tranny catcall, I've even been called a buttpirate a few times in my life (those were kinda funny, actually) but I have never been subjected to what I would consider bullying - not ever. Here I am, someone who knows what life can be like outside of bullying as an othergendered and othersexualized kid who grew up with a talent for speaking big words and standing up or himself, and what the hell am I doing about it?

There are all these kids around who are hurting, and I have no idea how to help. UO has one of the highest ratings of any public university in the nation in terms of friendliness towards the LGBT community. When they have events in public, people either come by and have a good time, or they just walk past - we never get harassed or heckled. I have students and friends in the 4J school district (equivalent of TUSD for Eugene) and I've never heard of anything like the things happening in Michigan happening here. It's like I moved from one little bubble (high school) to another (Eugene) where everything in fine, even though there are messed up kids and situations all across this nation.

So I guess I am feeling a mixture of survivor's guilt, that I got out of high school without any damage, mixed with a little bit of guilt for having the ability to affect change, and not acting on it, because I am too busy enjoying my perfect little life in my socially conscious and accepting bubble of a city.
What's a guy to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment