Saturday, July 10, 2010

Philadelphia, half way done

So, the training continues. Yes indeed, I continue to learn. I currently have three pages in my notebook filled with tricks and sequences on rope (corde lisse, spanish web, free rope, whathaveyou) and a routine that got choreographed at six in the morning the other day, and I am proud to say, got rehearsed for the first time this morning! It is going to be a lot of work, but of the four anticipated hurdles, we have glided through one effortlessly, and found a work around to the other. We got halfway through it in one day, and plan to knock out the other half tomorrow. This will allow us to start doing run-throughs on Thursday at the latest!

In other news, Philly sucks. Oh wait, I think I said that already. However, Philly sucks less this week! Three reasons why:
1. I am projecting badass-ness, as per my father's and Jeremy's advice, and people leave me alone for the most part (except to ask for change).
2. I have a very good system for getting downtown, where I am not a minority to pick on, and where there are things to do besides sit at home - these things, I will go into later.
3. It is cooler this week! We had a high of 81 today (the coolest it's been since I arrived) and the cause of this, you ask? RAIN! It rained all day yesterday and most of today. Made me miss Eugene rain a little bit, but I appreciated it nonetheless. Additionally, I got to laugh at Emilie, as she brought no waterproof clothes and got soaked on our walk to the school this morning.

Alright, so - my downtown adventures. Emilie offered to take me out to dinner last night (I'm still not entirely clear on what I was being thanked for), so we went to this amazing sushi joint called Fuji Mountain. Apart from dropping $45 on five rolls of sushi, we got quite a treat. When we first sat down, the little cute Japanese waitress said to us (in a very thick accent, so it was honestly difficult to pick out what she was saying) "In honor of our restaurant's 15th (or 50th, we are not sure what she said) anniversary, we are offering free sake to our customers, would you like yours served hot or cold?"
I, being only 19, was quite confused that she didn't ask for either one of our IDs, and was stunned into silence. Emilie (who is 21, and used to ordering alcohol) did not drop the ball, and answered "hot, please." I am proud to say that I got to try sake, and it was delicious! And the ceramic bottle it came in was so cute too! And they didn't ask for IDs at any point (I assume they would have done it before, because asking for IDs after giving someone alcohol would be stupid) either because we looked over 21, or because they didn't care. I expect it was the second option.

After that, we didn't want to go home, as it was only 9:30, so we wandered around, and ended up at this awesome little smoke shop (we were enticed by the owner who was smoking hookah on the stoop) so we chilled out there, and looked at his wares, which were very pretty, and THE COOLEST HOOKAH HOSE EVER! It was a dragon handle, with a 90 degree bend in it, and he had a hooked chin, such that you could hang the hose on the ash catch! Plus it was made of stone and it was just plain pretty. It was also $25, which is just a stupid amount to pay for one hose. SO! It goes on the already expansive list of "things I would buy if I had more money than I know what to do with." I really should start keeping a physical list, just to remind myself how much money I don't have - it would be depressingly wonderful!

Then we walked around a bit more, and listened to a guy play an amplified harmonica, and a couple singers (yeah, at 10:30 at night) and then promptly got lost finding the right entrance to the subway - which was too bad, because up till that point I had a 100% navigation efficiency for the day.

And today, when I got home (after my afternoon nap) I turned on my internet television and watched the Germany v Uruguay game, and what a game it was! For those of you who care, you should already know, and those of you who don't, do not want to know, and so naturally, I will tell you anyway. Germany won 3-2, which is good for several reasons.
I like Germany
I like Ghana
Uruguay kicked Ghana out of the tournament
I like it when Uruguay loses

Similarly, I am rooting for Netherlands tomorrow (for which I will be attending Fadó Irish Pub downtown) for these reasons
I like Germany
Spain beat Germany, putting them in the third place game, therefore I do not like Spain
I like Ghana, and Uruguay beat Ghana, putting them out
Netherlands beat Uruguay, sending them to the third place game, therefore I like Netherlands
This will be the biggest "who cares" final for me ever - the only way I can find to root for someone is by which team has done my teams more harm or good.
GO ORANGE!

Oh, and I had a brilliant idea about how to stay cool at night, and I implemented it last night. I moved my bed to the floor and into a little enclave in my room next to the window/fan. This is good for cool, but kinda fun - because the enclave is not wide enough for the bed, so it curls up on one side - it's like having a comfy wall to lean up against now!

I'm pretty sure that is all I've got for you guys this week, because I don't really want to go into the actual tricks I am learning, because it would make sense to exactly none of you.

So, goodbye everybody, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment