Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Week 1, complete. Week 2, bring it on!

A quick note - I write these stream of consciousness, so there are several things that this blog will have that it should not - and those are spelling and grammar mistakes. It will also not have something it should, and that is linear structure. I say things as I remember them, and it's my blog, so there...

Well, the world continues to move on, day by day, no matter how much fun I may be having. Classes still are boring, but everything else I am doing is fantabulous! I made some new friends (who are roomies, even though I met them on two different occasions) and their names are Jessica and Alyssa. I pretty much see these two on a daily basis and we have such a good time. More people who will be good friends in college I think. I had a good juggling club last night, got sick last week and had a great movie night. Had an LGBTQA meeting and wasted an entire day without noticing. All in all, a good weekend.
Friday. Friday was filled with some classes (snooze) and the crazy old man known as Proffessor DeLancy, who I believe is the coolest teacher ever.
Chemistry was kinda funny though. But first, the back story. I do my best to stand out in any situation, especially the classroom. It is a good idea to have your teachers know who you are. However, in this chemistry class of about 400 people, I had decided not to even try. But on Friday, he had asked a question of how a pi bond was possible in ethene because according to the lewis structure, the 2p orbitals do not match up. And we were getting all sorts of crazy answers. Now usually, after 2 wrong answers, he answers it for us and we move on. But after four incorrect answers he was still taking hands, at which point I got bored, raised my hand and said “Molecular groups can rotate around a sigma bond”
“Perfect, couldn’t have said it better myself!”
So I saved us some time, but if I went up to him the next day, he would not even know I was in his class. Which sucks, so now I intend on going back to sitting in my seat drawing on my hand and designing my next tattoo until he says something interesting or something I didn’t learn is 9th grade.
Well, I got out of chemistry and OMG! FREE HUGGERS!!! Yeah, 3 girls with free hugs signs (for those of you who do not know what that is, go to Free Hugs Youtube Video) and I am going to join them this Friday. So that pretty much made my day. This was followed by a 3 hour juggling practice on my part, which was cold, and I got a little sick. Which sucks. Im almost recovered now though. Later that night: movie night with Allison, Graham and Jeff. Holly stopped by for a little bit too (for those of you who know who Holly is, fantastic – if not, oh well) and everyone loved her, we all had a blast together. I slept like a rock on top of it all.
Saturday was BLOODY COLD! Saturday was a waste. I honestly cannot remember a single important thing about that day. Sunday we had the most useless hall meeting of all time, to discuss hall conduct (I had two phrases to fix everything: 1) be respectful, use good judgement and 2) if you have a problem with something or someone, talk to them yourself if you are comfortable. If not, go to the AR) One of those days I helped Alyssa who woke up feeling terrible. I made her some tea, and warmed her up. So yeah, weekend was filled with lots of chill out time. Which was needed. I did some really cool linguistics reading, which has helped me out with foreign languages a lot. For example, the English “d” is hard. Say “d” and feel where your tongue is. The tip should be touching the spot on the roof of your mouth just behind the tops of your teeth. This is called an alveolar stop. Now, do the same thing but with your tongue on the backs of your teeth. This is known as a “soft d” and is what all d’s are like in spanish. I have tried to explain it as a cross between a “d” and a “th” because “th”s are done with the tongue on the teeth. W00T LINGUISTICS.
MOONDAY. Day of the moon, and the bloody cold, made colder by sick. I got to meet my Diff E Professor. His name is Boris Botvinnik, a very russian name indeed. And I was wondering the whole first week “so, is he actually russian, or is that just his name?”
Verdict: HE IS SO RUSSIAN!
I continue my streak of never having had a native english speaking math teacher in my life (slovak, czech, chinese, russian). Yay me. Well had an LGBTQA meeting for trans people (I am not transgender or transexual, but I wanted to get involved. For those of you who know the longer story behind that, fill it in here) and it was amazing. Meeting these amazing people, and one of them is the leader of the juggling club! What a cool thing, eh? Ian is the name there. When we introduced ourselves in the meeting, we had three questions.
name (duh)
Preferred pronouns to be used for you
Board game that describes you (two people said black box, which I didn’t know – Kat is going to show me – Kat who is a girl and identifies as male or female depending on the day)
Ian answered as following “Hi, my name is Ian. Erm, I’m not sure at the moment, so if we could use gender neutral pronouns or just avoid pronouns alltogether that would be great.” I don’t remember his board game. Raven said candyland though, and we all had a good laugh about it when she said “how do you win that one again? I just liked looking at the pretty pictures”
So, Ian is an expert juggler and ze (not a misspelling, it’s one of those gender neutral pronouns) is a pretty decent sort of person too. Very shy though.
Tuesday (today) went to class and got help with some ridiculous problems in the homework, then spent 3 hours tutoring a guy in my class who overslept and missed the help session. He owes me coffee.
So that was my weekend – yes, it was boring by my standards.
Future: quiz tomorrow in chem, homework due in both math classes, circus on Thursday (I am going to assist with the silks class) and due to the not having any classes on Thursday, Alyssa, Kyle, and I are gonna hang out on Wednesday night. So that should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment