Monday, September 28, 2009

University of Oregon Entry 2

U of O moving in, Day 2
September 24th, 2009
4:51 PM

So we got up at 8:00AM this morning in order to get to check in early and they let us do our thing at 8:30. We started moving things up slowly but surely. I am in the 3rd floor of a 3 story building. I am staying in Bean hall, Ganoe section (ganoe is pronounced guh-no. It’s amazing how much pronunciation changes from canoe to ganoe with one letter) and my roommate’s name is Evan, and he is from Eugene, so he can show me the ropes. Moving in went smooth, and we did a bit of shopping to get the things we forgot (shaving supplies, pillow case, comforter etc.) and I FINALLY HAVE A BLACK BED! That’s right, with the exception of my green sheets, I have a black pillow case and black comforter, which I think looks fantastic. I’ll hang up my posters, including my 6x4 Van Gogh poster of the sunflowers later tonight I think, and then I shall declare myself fully moved in. Classes start next Tuesday, and honestly, I cannot wait. The next five days are filled with hall meetings and other “exciting activities, but I would rather spend every minute at the gymnastics and aerial center down the street. That’s where I am now actually, watching their classes, getting a feel for the teachers and students. The aerialist is really excited about having a single-point guy around, because nobody there knows a thing about it – so I am the expert now!

I had to say goodbye to my dad today, which came really suddenly, and was gone just as much. I walked him to his car, we said goodbye and there was some serious crying going on, but we were both clear on the fact that this was a good thing and that I was going to have a blast. His parting advice was “be safe, be smart, learn a bunch of stuff” to which I replied “yep, that’s the plan, and in that order too.” Then there was some more crying on my part on the way back to campus and I got some info about the things around campus, and the different groups (there was no LGBT booth to be found, but my RA is gonna find me some information about them so I can get involved) including way more religious groups than I was expecting. The RA is my neighbor, and he is a very cool guy, I actually think we are gonna be friends.

I have a hall meeting tonight at 7:45, and then I really have no idea what I am going to do tonight. Maybe I’ll get together with Andy, Graham or Rachel (kids I met at orientation a couple months ago) and see if we can find something to do. I’ll write again in a few days (or maybe tomorrow, I really do enjoy it) with some more news of my classes and books and whatnot.

No comments:

Post a Comment